First Presbyterian Church of Lake Forest is seeking a full-time Associate Pastor of Faith Formation. This is a new position created to provide leadership in the design, development, implementation, and stewardship of a culture of Christ-centered discipleship, Christian education and ongoing faith formation throughout the congregation. Our congregation is comprised of broad generational demographics, including 2nd-4th generational families, as well as new congregants moving into our community.
The Associate Pastor of Faith formation (APFF) will work closely with the Senior Pastor/Head of Staff, the Youth Pastor, the Faith Formation Committees, and the congregation. The Director of Children’s Faith Formation will report directly to the APFF. This position requires high interpersonal and organizational skills given the number of constituencies with whom the APFF will interact.
We have an ambitious job description for someone who feels called to help create a new congregational faith formation ministry to help people of all ages to grow and serve in the family of Christ.
- Missional Shepherd – inspire and equip congregational members to be biblically-literate disciples ready to serve the community as Christ commissioned us through faith-based activities and service work- not just on Sundays…
- Intergenerational Connector – cultivate the connection of our generations in fellowship and missional living. Foster opportunities for adults and emerging adults to share their faith stories through worship, retreats, “one and done” faith-based service projects, special “all-church” study modules, or modern Faith development discussion.
- Christian Education Champion – establish the long-term Christian education vision for FPCLF and provide pastoral and programmatic leadership in achieving this across the full spectrum of FPCLF program offerings, including small groups – offering programs for children, young parents, adults and seniors, at times that meet their needs.
- Congregational Catalyst – attract a larger community of seekers to FPCLF’s fold through invigorated digital ministry and by leveraging technology to expand outreach; strike the appropriate balance between bringing people to “church” and bringing “church” to the people. Galvanize the staff with innovative ideas to bring generations into contact with each other.
- Worship Leadership – participate on the Worship Team with regular opportunities to lead and preach. Redefine church away from “bricks and mortar”, toward outings, retreats, zoom, gatherings, etc. in order to foster community throughout all our demographic spectrum and throughout the week.
- Create/seize opportunities for new technologies to execute innovative and unique programming, attracting new believers to FPCLF.
PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS/LEADERSHIP PROFILE
- Visionary – excels as a critical thinker and innovative problem solver with a long-term perspective.
- Collaborative – effectively engages individuals across the theological, generational and life-experience spectrums to facilitate constructive, empathetic and solutions-oriented discussions; connector of people.
- Theological – possesses a strong theological foundation in the Reformed tradition and demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of Christian education.
- Self -Assured – exhibits a quiet confidence and an executive presence that engenders trust, respect and credibility.
- Results-Oriented – maximizes productivity through the establishment of well-defined goals and disciplined, efficient execution.
- Galvanize – exudes a positive, infectious sense of urgency to inspire others to action and growth.
- Communicator – demonstrates very strong communication, persuasion and conflict resolution skills – direct, candid and respectful – and should be comfortable, articulate and dynamic in front of all constituents.
First Presbyterian Church of Lake Forest provides a competitive salary and a full benefits package. Interested persons should send a cover letter and resume to :
First Presbyterian Church of Lake Forest
700 North Sheridan Road
Lake Forest, IL, 60045
ALL INFORMATION WILL BE HELD IN THE STRICTEST CONFIDENCE